Edward Davis (1846-1925) was born in Germany, May 1846, and immigrated to the U. S. around 1868/70. He was a butcher located downtown by 1873/74: first at 206 Manhattan Market, then 71 Vesey St (approx. 1875 to 1882). He was in business at 5-6 Washington Market and at 472 9th Ave. from the late 1880s until 1909. From 1909 to 1921, the business was located at 168 Chambers St, then in 1922 they moved to 420 W. 14th St. where they stayed until closing in the mid-1960s.
Edward Davis's death notice, New York Times, 4 June 1925, p. 19, reads, "Davis - Edward, in his eightieth year, after a brief illness, beloved husband of the late Elisa Davis and devoted father of Mrs. Jacob Diner, Mrs. Walter Lobman, Hannah, David, Louis, Arthur and Edwin Davis."
Among Edward Davis's sons who joined the business and who succeeded him were David Davis (1874-1930), Louis Davis (1881-1961), Arthur Davis (1884-1954) and Edwin Davis (1886-?). A third generation president of Edward Davis Inc. was Milton Alfred Diner (1906-1959). He was the son of Hilda Davis, one of Edward Davis's daughters. His short obituary in the New York Times, 4 June 1959, p. 31, read in part, "Milton Alfred Diner of 1085 Park Avenue, president of Edward Davis, Inc. purveyors of meat and poultry at 420 West Fourteen Street, died of a heart attack Monday in Roosevelt Hospital. His age was 52. Mr. Diner was graduated in 1928 from the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce of the University of Pennsylvania. He joined the meat corporation, which supplies meat and poultry to hotels, restaurants, steamships, institutions and clubs in 1931."
The Gansevoort Market Historic District Designation Report (New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, 2003, pg. 226) gives the following information on 420-424 W. 14th St.: "Date: 1903-04; Architect: Thomas H. Styles; Builder: John Jordan & Son; Original Owner: Diedrich and George A. Fink; Type: Store-and-loft building; Style: neo-Classical; Stories: 6; Facade Materials: brick (painted), limestone, pressed metal cornice, metal canopy." The report lists among the building's commercial tenants, "Edward Davis, Inc., meat and poultry for hotels, restaurants and steamships / Renid Sterilizing Corp (1929-65)," and notes, "Edward Davis, Inc., supplier of meat and poultry for hotels, restaurants and steamships, was a long-term tenant. A painted sign advertising "Edward Davis, Inc." is still partially visible above the fourth story."
An article entitled "Beef a la Mode" about Edward Davis Inc. appeared in the magazine Edison Monthly (published by the New York Edison Co.), June, 1922. This is available as a google book at books.google.com.
< previous || next > index map signs by date signs by name see what's new