In the snow 10-Feb-2003. A bit hard to make out. Click here for a slightly clearer image of the sign (no snow).
Sheppard Knapp (1839-1906) was born in Yorktown, Westchester County, and opened his business as carpet manufacturer at 283 Hudson St., New York City, in 1863. In 1871 he moved to Sixth Ave, first at 183-185 and later (around 1879) a block further up 6th Ave. to 189-191 at 13th Street. Click for ad from the New York Times, Jan. 17, 1884. This one dates from 1887 and shows the address 189-191 Sixth Ave.
The Biggert Collection of Architectural Vignettes at Columbia University contains a Sheppard Knapp bill or receipt dated 20 December 1879. The letterhead shows their location at 189 and 191 Sixth Avenue.
Sheppard Knapp died in 1906, but the business continued for another 20 years. In 1925 principals were V. A. Edwards, pres.; Jerome J. Holland , v-p; W. J. Newhouse, sec.; and C. Delme Knapp, treas.
This ad dates from 1920 when the business name was Sheppard Knapp Son Co., and they were located on West 23rd Street.
They moved to the building above (9 E. 40th St.) in 1923 but went out of business only a few years later (around 1926). The sign probably dates from 1923.
< previous || next > index map signs by date signs by name