Franklin Fireproof Warehouses was founded in Brooklyn in 1924 by Bernard F. Lenihan (1889- ?). One of the early locations was 84 Rockwell Place. Click for ad from 1930. They remained in Brooklyn until the mid-1940s, when they merged operations with the Century Moving & Storage Co. on East 38th St. in Manhattan. Century Moving and Storage dates from the mid-1930s. They were located at 233 E. 38th St. from around 1941. Click for Century ad from early 1940s. The two companies continued their joint operation until the late 1980s.
The form of the telephone number MU7-9100 indicates a time frame of approximately 1970-77. The sign could be older, but earlier they would probably have used the form MUrryhill 7-9100.
This sign was located off 38th St. between 2nd & 3rd Aves. at an exit road from the Queens Midtown Tunnel. The wall was still there (in Jan. 2003) but the sign has been obliterated.
< previous || next > street index map signs by date signs by name